The Official State Journal of the Government of Catalonia has published the Act on the tax, financial and administrative measures to be taken in order to improve all outdoor lighting.Request more information
All street lighting that has become obsolete, inefficient or unsuitable must be replaced within the next 4 years.05.05.2015
The regulations require efficiency, sustainability, energy savings and better protection for nocturnal wildlife.
• The replacement of this lighting will deliver saving in energy to the tune of €18M for Catalonia as a whole.
• The streamlining of environmental controls on exterior lighting used by industry, trades, services and sports facilities must be completed within 6 years.
• The lighting of ski pistes is regulated by a special set of regulations to make the practice of this sport compatible with environmental protection.
The new laws establish three types of lighting that are considered obsolete, inefficient or unsuitable:
- High pressure mercury vapour luminaires. They affect biodiversity and can potentially cause contamination after use.
- Lamps located in areas with the maximum environmental protection rating must not be sodium vapour lamps or lamps based on other technologies that have similar spectral characteristics.
-Lamps that emit a luminous flux above the line of the horizon in excess of 50%.
These components must be discontinued depending on the type of facility and the place where they are located:
-Areas with the maximum protection rating: 31 March 2016
-Other public facilities: 31 December 2016
-Other private facilities: end of 2018
The intention of these new regulations is to ensure lighting is efficient, sustainable, makes significant savings in energy and protects nocturnal wildlife.
Source: Ministry of Town and Country Planning and Sustainability. Government of Catalonia.